CPI favours `Dalit woman` as Prez
New Delhi: CPI on Thursday said it favoured a Dalit woman as the next President of India, but did not spell out any name for the top Constitutional post.
Top CPI leader A B Bardhan said Congress or UPA have not spoken with the Left parties or come out with any name for the Presidential elections.
"Mahatma Gandhi has said one good thing...Among many other good things that a Dalit woman should be made President," he told a press conference when asked about his party`s preference in the July poll for the President post.
However, Bardhan said, he did not mean Lok Sabha Speaker Meira Kumar when he talked about a Dalit woman as the next president. "Sorry. I am not taking any names," he said.
Asked on whether the Left parties would support Pranab Mukherjee if the UPA choses the Finance Minister as its candidate, Bardhan said, "I cannot answer to your questions which are full of ifs."
To a question whether the Left can afford not to support Mukherjee, the former CPI general secretary said he should not be asked such questions on whether somebody is acceptable or not.
"We will wait and watch. Left parties are meeting here on June 21 to firm up our strategy," he said.
Bardhan said only four leaders -- NCP chief Sharad Pawar, BJD head Naveen Patnaik, AIADMK supremo Jayalalithaa and TDP president Chandrababu Naidu -- spoke to him.
Barring the four leaders none, including Mukherjee, had spoken to him on the matter, he said.
When asked about reports that Mukherjee spoke with former West Chief Minister Buddhadeb Bhattacharjee, party sources said he is not in the leadership of CPI(M) or the Left. "They will have to talk to those in leadership," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Zee Media exclusive interview with victim of Uber molestation
- Assam Board (seba.net.in & resultsassam.nic.in): SEBA HSLC / AHM class 10th Results 2015 to be announced today
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi
- Was asked to call Sunanda Pushkar’s death `natural`: AIIMS doctor
- From being the ‘Dabangg’ girl to ‘Akira’ - Sonakshi Sinha’s journey so far
- China ship carrying 458 on board sinks in Yangtze River: Five dead, hundreds missing