CPI got over Rs.3 crore funding, shows RTI
New Delhi: The Communist Party of India (CPI) has received over Rs.3 crore funding through various sources in the past five years, an answer to an RTI query revealed Monday.
The disclosure comes after last month`s Central Information Commission (CIC) order that political parties are public authorities and need to respond to Right to Information queries within six weeks.
Replying to a query filed by RTI activist Subhash Chandra Agarwal, the CPI said that it received Rs.31,362,341 from various sources since 2008.
The total includes contributions made above the amount of Rs.20,000.
"CPI should be complimented to become first and the only political party for disclosing funding made to it by various sources when query was made to the party through an RTI petition," said Agarwal.
He said the CPI disclosed the funding even though it did not approve of CIC verdict bringing political parties under the ambit of the RTI Act.
"Similar RTI petitions were sent to several political parties, including the six which were ordered as public-authorities under RTI Act by CIC through its June 3 order," he said.
The commission in a 54-page order said six national parties - the Congress, Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP), Nationalist Congress Party (NCP), Communist Party of India - Marxist (CPI-M), CPI and the Bahujan Samaj Party (BSP) - have been substantially funded and have the "character of public authority" under the RTI Act.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- DNA: Inside story of Indian Army's surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read