CPI-M against sharp increase in Delhi Airport fees
New Delhi: Opposing a whopping 346 per cent hike in charges by Delhi Airport, a CPI-M member in Rajya Sabha Friday wanted to know how such an increase was effected even as a related legislation was pending in Parliament.
Raising the issue during Zero Hour, K N Balagopal said the hike has made the Delhi Airport the world`s costliest airport where user fee is charged from even incoming passengers in the name financial crisis being faced by it.
"When a related legislation is pending before the House for one year, how can the Airport increase the airport fee three to four times in a year...They are looting the people...It is a matter of privilege," Balagopal said demanding a ruling from the Chair in this regard.
Balagopal wondered how the airport could levy such charges when it was on public-private-partnership basis. "Without any rule they have collected Rs 1,500 crore," he said.
Supporting him, his party colleague Sitaram Yechury wondered as to how a decision could be taken when the Rules were pending before the House Committee.
The Airports Economic Regulatory Authority (AERA) on April 25 decided to raise landing, parking and other charges by a whopping 346 per cent for two years, a move that would raise air travel costs from the Airport.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop good communication skills for a successful life?
- Curfew lifted from 4 districts of Kashmir valley
- Recently launched Pokemon Go gaining extreme popularity among users
- Rajnath Singh meets J&K CM Mehbooba Mufti to discuss current situation in valley
- AAP MLA Amantulla Khan arrested for misbehaving with a woman
- Producer's Guild hold emergency meet after 'Dishoom' leak threat
- WATCH: HISTORIC! Neeraj Chopra sets U-20 Javelin record, becomes first Indian world champion in athletics
- REVEALED: Why Hindu families in Aligarh want to sell their houses, leave area
- We’re not broken, just bent and we can learn to love again!
- Suspended Bihar BJP MLC Tunna Pandey sent to 12-day custody for molesting minor girl on train