CPI-M against sharp increase in Delhi Airport fees
New Delhi: Opposing a whopping 346 per cent hike in charges by Delhi Airport, a CPI-M member in Rajya Sabha Friday wanted to know how such an increase was effected even as a related legislation was pending in Parliament.
Raising the issue during Zero Hour, K N Balagopal said the hike has made the Delhi Airport the world`s costliest airport where user fee is charged from even incoming passengers in the name financial crisis being faced by it.
"When a related legislation is pending before the House for one year, how can the Airport increase the airport fee three to four times in a year...They are looting the people...It is a matter of privilege," Balagopal said demanding a ruling from the Chair in this regard.
Balagopal wondered how the airport could levy such charges when it was on public-private-partnership basis. "Without any rule they have collected Rs 1,500 crore," he said.
Supporting him, his party colleague Sitaram Yechury wondered as to how a decision could be taken when the Rules were pending before the House Committee.
The Airports Economic Regulatory Authority (AERA) on April 25 decided to raise landing, parking and other charges by a whopping 346 per cent for two years, a move that would raise air travel costs from the Airport.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- No trace of IAF's AN-32 aircraft and survivors
- Rio Olympics 2016: NADA to take decision on Narsingh Yadav's fate today
- Intruder who ‘spiked’ wrestler Narsingh Yadav’s food identified: Sources
- China increases soldiers at Ladakh's Pangong Lake
- Madhya Pradesh: Two women assaulted at railway station for carrying beef
- 1st Test, Day 2: Sri Lanka vs Australia - As it happened...
- ALARMING: Terrorist captured alive by security forces in Kashmir is a Pakistani from Lahore
- Sensex stages strong comeback, climbs 144 points in early trade
- US reaffirms cooperation with India in fight against terrorism
- Watch: Katrina Kaif-Sidharth Malhotra’s desi swag will make you go crazy!