CPI-M attacks Cong on direct cash transfer scheme
New Delhi: CPI(M) Thursday lambasted Congress for "blatant misuse" of party symbol in announcing the direct cash transfer scheme, saying it could fall under "corrupt practice" under the election laws.
"The Congress party used its party office and the party symbol to announce the cash transfer scheme. It is a blatant misuse of the party symbol and can fall under corrupt practices," senior CPI(M) leader Sitaram Yechury told reporters here.
He indicated that the announcement came when the election process in Gujarat and Himachal Pradesh was on and referred to the Election Commission rules relating to offences and corrupt practices in connection with elections.
Noting that direct cash transfer was being proposed to be carried out under the `Aadhar` or Unique Identification (UID) card scheme, Yechury said the Bill to give UID legal sanctity was yet to be passed by Parliament.
"The Parliamentary Standing Committee has rejected the UID Bill and asked the government to come up with a fresh one. When the Bill has not been approved, the announcement about it in the cash transfer scheme is more in nature of propaganda. Without legal sanctity to this Bill, any such scheme will not be legal," the CPI(M) Politburo member said.
He criticised the cash transfer scheme, saying when inflation was high, the cash being transferred would actually cut subsidies and go to buy lesser and lesser amounts of foodgrains or other essential items meant under the scheme.
The rules of the scheme "are weighted against the poor, in favour of the UPA-II Government`s obsessive commitment to cut subsidies to the working people," Yechury said, adding, "Ultimately, it will reduce subsidy and dismantle the public distribution system."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says