CPI-M links Italian fiasco with economic policies
New Delhi: The CPI-M said on Thursday that the Italian refusal to send back its two marines to face the Indian law was linked to India`s hunger for foreign investment.
The acts of foreigners who violate Indian law "with virtual impunity is directly connected with the neo-liberal trajectory of economic reforms" New Delhi has pursued since 1991, the CPI-M said.
"In the urge and eagerness to attract foreign investment, virtually succumbing to the dictates of international finance capital, India is increasingly seen as a state that vacillates to firmly uphold our political sovereignty and the rule of law.
"Such an appeasement to foreign capital at the expense of our sovereignty undermines the vital essence and character of the Indian nation," said an editorial in the CPI-M journal People`s Democracy.
"This only vindicates our position that surrender of economic sovereignty in the name of neo-liberal reforms can never stop ... and will necessarily lead to the undermining of our political sovereignty," it said.
The editorial follows Rome`s decision not to stick to its pledge to the Supreme Court that the marines, charged with killing two Indian fishermen, would return to India after voting in Italian elections.
The decision has brought a chill in India-Italy relations. Prime Minister Manmohan Singh has termed the Italian move "unacceptable" and said it would have a bearing on bilateral relations.
"One can only hope that the prime minister will uphold ... the commitment he made to the Indian parliament on this issue of the Italian marines, and display the expected firmness and conviction of a prime minister under oath to uphold the inviolability of the Indian constitution and sovereignty," it said.
The editorial also demanded to know why the Indian state and judiciary let the Italians return to their country -- first to celebrate Christmas with their families and then to vote in national elections.
"Under-trials in India are not allowed by law to cast their vote in an election. Then, how can these Italian marines charged for murder in Indian waters and facing trial under Indian law be treated differently?
"Will the inmates of, say, Delhi`s Tihar jail be allowed to celebrate the forthcoming Holi festival with their families?
"Clearly, different set of rules seem to be followed with regard to these Italians."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark