CPI-M may rethink about participation in JPC on chopper scam
New Delhi: The CPI(M) may rethink its participation in the Joint Parliamentary Committee (JPC) on the VVIP helicopter purchase scam if other Opposition parties do not join it, party leaders said on Thursday.
"If (CPI-M MP) T K Rangarajan is the only member in the JPC opposing the government, ... If other Opposition parties are not joining it, then there is no point of having the JPC and we will have to rethink," senior party leader Sitaram Yechury told reporters here.
So far only Rangarajan`s name is in the list of the 30- member JPC, apart from those of the Congress, he said.
The JPC on the Bofors scam in 1987 had only the ruling Congress members in it following a boycott by the entire opposition, Yechury said.
His comments came in the backdrop of the BJP and some other Opposition parties expressing unwillingness to join the JPC on the grounds that without an FIR registered in the case, such a forum would be "useless" and "an attempt to befool" the people.
However, Opposition parties like Shiv Sena, BJD and JD(U) have reportedly expressed their intent of joining the parliamentary body, though they staged a walkout when the JPC was announced in Parliament.
Explaining the CPI-M`s stand on the JPC, he said normally, a JPC is set up on an issue of policy. "But this is a straight-forward criminal investigation. So there is no scope or necessity for having a JPC."
"We wanted the CBI to being probe under judicial supervision. But the judiciary seems to be unwilling to supervise this investigation," the CPI-M leader said.
"Notwithstanding this, if the government still wants to have a JPC, we will not oppose it or boycott it since such a parliamentary committee is a representative body of the House," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`