CPI-M MP asks Modi to take up women`s quota bill
Thiruvananthapuram: CPI(M) central committee member P K Sreemathi, the lone woman Lok Sabha member from Kerala, today said the Narendra Modi government should take initiative for enactment of Women`s Reservation Bill.
Sreemathi, who won from Kannur, sought to know whether Modi would give priority to this long-pending legislation and prove his words are matched by action.
"Now BJP has a majority of its own in the house. There is no technical hurdle before the government to take the bill from the cold storage," she told PTI.
"CPI(M) and Left parties will put pressure on the Modi government to fulfil their pre-poll promises. As a woman, I have special interest to take up the issue of
Women`s Reservation Bill, which is in cold storage now and see that it is passed at the earliest," she said.
Sreemathi, who wrested Kannur constituency from sitting Congress MP K Sudhakaran, said enhancing the status of women in society was equally important as ensuring their security.
"We have a number of laws to ensure the security of women. But unfortunately they have many loopholes. The new government should take the initiative to plug these loopholes and bring out a strong legislation to ensure women`s security," she said.
Sreemathi, who handled the Health and Social Welfare portfolios in the V S Achutanandan government during 2006-11, said it would take some time to know the Modi government`s approach and attitude towards women issues.
"We cannot predict now whether the approach of the Modi government will be the same as the previous UPA regime. Let us wait and see," Sreemathi added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark