CPI-M pada yatra to press for Iqbal Singh`s recall
Puducherry: CPI(M) Puducherry unit will stage
a `pada yatra` next week to press the Centre for recalling Lt
Governor Iqbal Singh over various issues including his
controversial recommendation for expeditious issue of passport
to alleged tax evader Hasan Ali Khan.
"Leaders and cadres of the party would stage the pada
yatra in Puducherry and Karaikal regions on May 7, 9 and 10
to urge the Centre to recall Singh without any further loss of
time," CPI-M local unit Secretary V Perumal and Tamil Nadu
state Council member T Murugan told reporters here.
Referring to Singh`s questioning by Enforcement
Directorate officials here last month over his recommendation
in 1997 as a Congress Rajya Sabha member for issuance of
passport to Khan Perumal said: "It is highly inappropriate for
Singh to remain in office even after the high powered
investigation agency had grilled him."
Murugan said a detailed telegram had also been sent to
President Pratibha Patil on April 30 seeking recall of Singh
`who had been mired in several controversies and allegations`.
He alleged that Singh had `by gross misuse of his
official position as Administrator of Puducherry Union
Territory "secured" Essentiality Certificate to the South
Educational Trust to start a medical college in Karaikal.
"The certificate should be cancelled and none of the
private players awaiting the clearance of their medical
college proposals should be sanctioned any permission. Already
for a population of around 11 lakhs there are eight medical
colleges in Puducherry. Hence no new medical college should
be permitted," Perumal said.
He said the party had also sought a detailed inquiry into
the trust issue. Singh`s two sons were former members of the
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CBI confirms Delhi health minister Satyendra Jain's indulgence in Hawala business
- Watch: CM Yogi Adityanath's first speech in UP Assembly house
- Should army take strict action against stone pelters of J&K?
- Etawah: UP cops caught drunk while on duty
- DNA: Reason behind electricity crisis in India despite being power surplus nation
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- The Kapil Sharma Show: No Sunday episode this weekend? Here’s why
- India vs Australia: Virat Kohli takes reconciliatory path, says his friendship comment was 'blown out of proportion'
- Sunil Grover joining AIB? Here’s the truth
- Reliance Jio closes in on 50 million paid users