CPI-M pada yatra to press for Iqbal Singh`s recall
Puducherry: CPI(M) Puducherry unit will stage
a `pada yatra` next week to press the Centre for recalling Lt
Governor Iqbal Singh over various issues including his
controversial recommendation for expeditious issue of passport
to alleged tax evader Hasan Ali Khan.
"Leaders and cadres of the party would stage the pada
yatra in Puducherry and Karaikal regions on May 7, 9 and 10
to urge the Centre to recall Singh without any further loss of
time," CPI-M local unit Secretary V Perumal and Tamil Nadu
state Council member T Murugan told reporters here.
Referring to Singh`s questioning by Enforcement
Directorate officials here last month over his recommendation
in 1997 as a Congress Rajya Sabha member for issuance of
passport to Khan Perumal said: "It is highly inappropriate for
Singh to remain in office even after the high powered
investigation agency had grilled him."
Murugan said a detailed telegram had also been sent to
President Pratibha Patil on April 30 seeking recall of Singh
`who had been mired in several controversies and allegations`.
He alleged that Singh had `by gross misuse of his
official position as Administrator of Puducherry Union
Territory "secured" Essentiality Certificate to the South
Educational Trust to start a medical college in Karaikal.
"The certificate should be cancelled and none of the
private players awaiting the clearance of their medical
college proposals should be sanctioned any permission. Already
for a population of around 11 lakhs there are eight medical
colleges in Puducherry. Hence no new medical college should
be permitted," Perumal said.
He said the party had also sought a detailed inquiry into
the trust issue. Singh`s two sons were former members of the
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE Results 2015: 12th board exam results to be declared on May 25