CPI-M pada yatra to press for Iqbal Singh`s recall
Puducherry: CPI(M) Puducherry unit will stage
a `pada yatra` next week to press the Centre for recalling Lt
Governor Iqbal Singh over various issues including his
controversial recommendation for expeditious issue of passport
to alleged tax evader Hasan Ali Khan.
"Leaders and cadres of the party would stage the pada
yatra in Puducherry and Karaikal regions on May 7, 9 and 10
to urge the Centre to recall Singh without any further loss of
time," CPI-M local unit Secretary V Perumal and Tamil Nadu
state Council member T Murugan told reporters here.
Referring to Singh`s questioning by Enforcement
Directorate officials here last month over his recommendation
in 1997 as a Congress Rajya Sabha member for issuance of
passport to Khan Perumal said: "It is highly inappropriate for
Singh to remain in office even after the high powered
investigation agency had grilled him."
Murugan said a detailed telegram had also been sent to
President Pratibha Patil on April 30 seeking recall of Singh
`who had been mired in several controversies and allegations`.
He alleged that Singh had `by gross misuse of his
official position as Administrator of Puducherry Union
Territory "secured" Essentiality Certificate to the South
Educational Trust to start a medical college in Karaikal.
"The certificate should be cancelled and none of the
private players awaiting the clearance of their medical
college proposals should be sanctioned any permission. Already
for a population of around 11 lakhs there are eight medical
colleges in Puducherry. Hence no new medical college should
be permitted," Perumal said.
He said the party had also sought a detailed inquiry into
the trust issue. Singh`s two sons were former members of the
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, asked to leave India
- Panel discussion on the need of Pakistan's ambassador in India
- Ceasefire violations by Pak: Should India carry out surgical strike part-II?
- DNA: Zee Media's campaign to celebrate Diwali with soldier's family
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- UPA govt thought of attacking Lashkar HQ, training camps after 26/11 strike, claims ex-NSA Shivshankar Menon
- Diwali 2016: Dhanteras Puja timings, Tithi and Vidhi