CPI (M) politburo meeting begins
Kolkata: Growing political violence in
West Bengal ahead of the Assembly polls is likely to come up
for discussion at the two-day politburo meeting of the CPI(M)
which began on Saturday.
The crucial meeting was likely to discuss growing
political clashes including that at Netai village in Lalgarh
where eight persons were killed which has put the Left Front
government in a tight situation.
Chief Minister Buddhadeb Bhattacharjee is slated to
meet Union Home Minister P Chidambaram on January 19 to
discuss the issue. He would also meet Prime Minister Manmohan
Singh that day.
The Marxist party has encountered stepped up political
activity by main opposition Trinamool Congress, which is
making a determined bid to replace the ruling Front.
Election issues in five states, mainly Left-ruled
West Bengal and Kerala is also likely to come up for
discussion in the meeting.
Party sources said that the meeting assumed greater
significance in view of the Election Commission`s expression
of anguish at the deterioration of law and order and its
decision to dispatch a six-member team of observers to monitor
the situation in the state. Last night, CPI(M) politburo member Sitaram Yechuri
charged the Trinamool Congress with conniving with the Maoists
in perpetrating violence in the state.
"We have lost 370 comrades since the last Lok Sabha
election in the state in such violence. Those perpetrating
violence in the state must be brought to book," he said.
Although no agenda of the meeting was available, the
sources said that the strategy and course of action in
Parliament on the 2G spectrum issue, when it meets for the
Budget Session in February, may figure prominently.
Price rise is another important issue likely to figure
in the meeting.
The meeting was attended by all the politburo members
including Prakash Karat, Sitaram Yechury, Brinda Karat,
Buddhadeb Bhattacharjee, Biman Bose, Nirupam Sen, Md Amin,
Manik Sarakar, K Balakrishnan, G S Pillai, M K Pandhe, P
Vijayan, Raghabalu and K Varadarajan.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to expand your existing business
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists, says Farooq Abdullah
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- UP: DM B Chandrakala participates in anti-riots drill in Bulandshahr
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?
- Russian MP dies while ‘having sex’ inside car - Read
- Ban on Salman Rushdie's 'The Satanic Verses' by Rajiv Gandhi govt was a mistake: P Chidambaram
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list