CPI-M seeks central forces in Maoist-hit states` border areas
New Delhi: The Communist Party of India-Marxist (CPI-M) on Sunday asked the central government to deploy security forces in border areas of Maoist-affected states in co-ordination with state governments.
Condemning the killing of tribal CPI-M leader Ananda Masihoro in Orissa Saturday and the violence against poor tribals in the area, the CPI-M politburo said such incidents "once again show the bankrupt politics of the Maoists who target CPI-M leaders who are fighting against exploitation of the poor".
"It demands that the Central government deploy adequate security forces in the border areas of the affected states in coordination with the state governments," the politburo said in a statement.
The CPI-M said Masihoro was a "popular tribal leader" of the CPI-M in Bonai area of Sundargarh district in Orissa.
"Comrade Ananda was a two-term member of the Zila Parishad and a popular mass leader who bravely fought the exploitation of poor people by locals with vested interests," the CPI-M said.
He was kidnapped by the Maoists a few days earlier and later the police reported his killing although his body is yet to be recovered, the statement said.
"The CPI-M expresses its condolences to the bereaved family," it said.
"Earlier, Maoists had killed Comrade Rabi Oram, another tribal leader who was the branch secretary of the CPI-M."
"Since villagers under the leadership of the CPI-M put up a resistance to the Maoists depredations in the area, the Maoists burnt two party offices and looted the houses of the villagers and attacked them, injuring five," the CPI-M said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Prime Minister Modi's rapidfire politics on Gandhi Jayanti
- DNA: Analysis of Lal Bahadur Shastri's mysterious death
- Bihar will celebrate two Diwalis in 2015, one will be after poll results: Modi
- Is Mahatma Gandhi's name slowly fading away from the minds of the youth?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Watch Video - World's highest glass-bottom bridge opens in China 600 feet above a canyon!