CPI-M slams PM refusal to roll back fuel price hike
New Delhi: The Communist Party of India-Marxist (CPI-M) on Wednesday said the government`s refusal to roll back the fuel price hike "reflects a flawed economic thinking and insensitivity to the sufferings of the people".
The CPI-M said that while the government hoped to mobilise Rs 25,000-30,000 crore in the coming year by increasing customs and excise duties on diesel and petrol, Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee had admitted that Rs 26,000 crore worth of revenue would be lost during the same period due to cuts in income taxes.
"How come the Prime Minister is defending the indirect tax hike in the name of fiscal consolidation while turning a blind eye towards the direct tax cuts?" the party asked in a statement.
The statement asked what "populist policies" were? "Having low indirect taxes on fuel, consumed by an overwhelming majority of the people, or doling out corporate tax concessions worth Rs 80,000 crore in one single year (2009-10) in the name of stimulus?"
It said the Prime Minister`s assertion that the impact of the fuel price hike would lead to only 0.4 percent rise in the wholesale price index was a gross miscalculation.
"Food price inflation soared after the last hike in petro prices in July 2009. At a time when the people are reeling under nearly 20 percent food price inflation, this round of fuel price hike will amount to a completely back-breaking burden.
"The CPI-M rejects the Prime Minister`s callous defence of the fuel price hike and strongly reiterates its demand to withdraw the increase in customs and excise duties on diesel and petrol immediately."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark