CPI-M takes a dig at SP`s Third Front call
New Delhi: In an indirect attack on the Samajwadi Party (SP), the CPI-M said on Thursday that non-Congress and non-BJP parties should not form a new front only to share "the spoils of office".
"The non-Congress, non-BJP secular parties (should) give up their political opportunism of forming a front merely for the sake of sharing the spoils of office," the CPI-M journal "People`s Democracy" said.
Such a front should come up to form "a government that will implement alternative policies which will significantly improve the livelihood conditions of our people and create a ‘Better India` for all Indians".
The Communist Party of India-Marxist editorial did not name any political party but it followed recent calls by SP chief Mulayam Singh Yadav to form a Third Front ahead of the next Lok Sabha elections.
The CPI-M editorial said it was important that political struggles must be carried out to force a change in government policies.
It said that people won`t get relief "merely from a non-Congress, non-BJP government.
"Relief can only come through alternate policies. What the people require, therefore, is not merely an alternate government but a government that can implement an alternate pro-people policy direction."
It said the reason why parties like the SP that continue to bail out the Congress-led UPA government still talk about a Third Front "is because there is pressure from the SP`s own political and social base for a change that will provide people some relief from their present miserable conditions of existence.
"The economic slowdown, the relentless rise in prices of all commodities, the deepening agrarian distress - are all combining to mount unprecedented agonies on the people.
"The people`s cries for relief and a better livelihood find such political expressions of a `Third Front` government."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof