CPI moves amendment on price rise motion
New Delhi: The CPI on Wednesday sought to breach the
`consensus` over the wording of the motion on price rise in
the Lok Sabha by moving an amendment which wanted to highlight
"government`s failure" to curb food inflation.
Party leader Gurudas Dasgupta moved an amendment to the
motion expressing deep concerns over rising prices while
participating in the debate on the issue.
He wanted to insert words, "and government`s failure to
curb food price inflation", to be added to the motion which
expresses "deep concern" over price rise and calls upon the
government to take immediate effective steps to check
inflation that will give relief to common man.
CPI(M) leader Basudeb Acharia had also given notice to
move an amendment to the motion but he was not in the House
when Speaker Meira Kumar called him to move the amendment.
Faced with a delicate situation after the opposition
stalled parliament for two days, Government had yesterday
arrived at a compromise with the Opposition to take up the
discussion on price rise under a rule which entails voting.
Dasgupta as also Raghuvansh Prasad Singh alleged that
the there is some arrangement between the ruling and principal
opposition party on the issue which is a clear case of bipolar
politics already in practice in the West particularly in the
US and UK.
"It is a trend of bipolar politics which will undermine
the multiplicity of Indian politics," Dasgupta said, adding
"nobody consulted us (on the issue)".
Making a brief intervention, Yashwant Sinha said, "It was
a mistake on their part if they (government) have not reached
you.... The issue should be taken up with the ruling
"When nuclear deal was inked, you were consulted, not
us," Sinha said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- David Headley reveals Pakistan's role in 26/11 terror attacks
- Is Pakistan trying to divert India from issue of terrorism? - Part II
- Is Pakistan trying to divert India from issue of terrorism?
- UP: Samajwadi Party leader's celebratory firing kills 10-year-old child in Shamli
- Renowned Urdu poet Nida Fazli dies at 78
- Bangladesh scraps China-proposed deep sea port, India offers help to develop another
- Deepika Padukone reads letter written by father – Watch - You will be moved to tears
- 'Road Romeo' beaten up by brave girl in Allahabad: Watch
- Watch video: Samajwadi Party leader's celebratory firing kills 10-year-old child in Shamli
- Salman Khan miffed with Huma Qureshi –Sohail Khan affair reports?