CPI seeks time till elections to set up RTI mechanism
New Delhi: The Communist Party of India has sought time from Central Information Commission till general elections are over to respond to its notice seeking explanation for not setting up apparatus for processing RTI applications.
The Commission had recently issued notices to six national parties seeking details of action taken by them to implement RTI Act in accordance with its direction issued last year.
The Commission, a quasi-judicial body on RTI Act, had asked Congress, BJP, NCP, CPI-M, CPI and BSP to provide details of the actions within four weeks.
Responding to a representation from activities R K Jain seeking names and address of the CPIO and First Appellate Authority under the RTI Act, CPI General Secretary S Sudhakar Reddy said, "We are requesting the CIC to give us time till the elections as we are busy with the elections.
"In between, we are replying to all the enquiries of the RTI from our party. So far we have not appointed any CPIO or appellate authority."
Jain has also filed a complaint with the CIC against Congress President Sonia Gandhi for not implementing panel`s order.
A full bench of the Commission had declared that the six political parties were substantially funded indirectly by the central government and they have the character of public authority under the RTI Act as they perform public functions.
The Commission had given them six weeks to comply with norms of the RTI Act but so far none of the parties has followed the direction prompting RTI activist Subhash Agrawal, who was one of the petitioners in the case, to file the representations before it.
Following lack of action from six parties on implementing its orders, CIC issued notices to them seeking explanation within four weeks.
"It is directed that the detailed comments on the said representations received from Shri Agrawal and the details of the action taken on the directions contained in the Commission`s order of June 3, 2013 may be furnished to the Commission within four weeks. A copy of the comments should also be furnished to the complainant," the Commission said in a recent notice issued on the representation of Agrawal.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- Rajasthan Board RBSE 12th Inter Results 2015: BSER Ajmer (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in) Senior Secondary Class 12th Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today at 2 PM
- SC asks Haryana Police to quickly finish AIPMT paper leak probe
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception