CPI to fight on 60 seats, declares 39 names for LS polls
New Delhi: Probodh Panda and Atul Kumar Anjaan are among 39 candidates declared by CPI for the upcoming Lok Sabha polls as the party said that it would fight on 60 seats in 24 states.
The party also hoped that a non-Congress non-BJP formation would come to power at the Centre.
Party said that Gurudas Dasgupta would not contest the election as he had announced earlier.
Among the candidates that the party has announced is Probodh Panda from Midnapore in West Bengal who is the sitting MP. The other two names announced from West Bengal are former MLA Santosh Rana from Ghatal and Nurul Huda from Bashirhat.
Another prominent name in the list is Atul Kumar Anjaan who would contest from Ghosi in UP.
In a statement released here the party said that the CPI National Council has decided to continue efforts to have poll adjustment with secular democratic parties.
Apart from West Bengal and UP, the other states from which the party would field candidates are Assam, Manipur, Haryana, Gujarat, Maharashtra, Rajasthan, Chhattisgarh, Jharkhand, Karnataka, Uttrakhand, MP, Bihar, Goa, Lakshdweep and Delhi.
The party has identified constituencies in Kerala, Punjab and Odisha but candidates would be named later. Candidates and constituencies in Tamil Nadu will also be decided later.
In a statement released here party General Secretary S Sudhakar Reddy said that "After milking the pliable UPA 2 government to the maximum, the Corporate Capital and international finance capital is bidding for a more subservient regime.
"It has opted for BJP`s prime ministerial nominee Narendra Modi who stinks of blood since 2002 and is known for his authoritarian mentality."
It said the coming electoral battle is for protecting the economic sovereignty of the country, for alternative pro-people policies and for a regime that alters the course of neo-liberalism to which Congress and BJP are committed.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Know how much sex is enough for happiness
- Swaragini: Ragini gets caught in her own trap; Swara slaps her
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Shah Rukh Khan tweets about new ‘Dilwale’ song
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed