CPI to move amendments to Food Security Bill: Raja
Mumbai: A CPI MP from Rajya Sabha on Sunday said the party would move amendments to the Food Security Bill, which was passed by Lok Sabha last week, in Upper House of the Parliament on Monday.
"We shall be moving crucial amendments tomorrow during the debate (on Food Security Bill) and we will see that these amendments are accepted," CPI leader and Rajya Sabha MP D Raja told reporters here.
Stressing the need for making the public distribution system "universal", he said nutritional component in it should also be taken into consideration.
"The public distribution system should be streamlined and made universal. We should consider all aspects of food security," he said.
Raja said the Food Security Bill should not adversely impact the financial federalism of the country.
"There should not be reduction in supply of food grains from the Centre to the states," he said.
"What we are witnessing today is the result of disastrous economic policies pursued by the Congress-led UPA government. It (government) has failed to manage the economy," he rued while blaming the Centre`s economic policies for the fall in rupee value against dollar.
Alleging that the Congress is using Food Bill as a poll plank for the next Lok Sabha elections, the CPI leader further said the UPA government is misleading the people.
"Definitely they are politicising the Food Security Bill as their plank for 2014 Lok Sabha elections. By politicising the Food Bill, government is trying to hoodwink the people," he said.
"People know which party should be removed from the office and which party should be taught a lesson. Congress party must not take people for granted," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi