CPI to move amendments to Food Security Bill: Raja
Mumbai: A CPI MP from Rajya Sabha on Sunday said the party would move amendments to the Food Security Bill, which was passed by Lok Sabha last week, in Upper House of the Parliament on Monday.
"We shall be moving crucial amendments tomorrow during the debate (on Food Security Bill) and we will see that these amendments are accepted," CPI leader and Rajya Sabha MP D Raja told reporters here.
Stressing the need for making the public distribution system "universal", he said nutritional component in it should also be taken into consideration.
"The public distribution system should be streamlined and made universal. We should consider all aspects of food security," he said.
Raja said the Food Security Bill should not adversely impact the financial federalism of the country.
"There should not be reduction in supply of food grains from the Centre to the states," he said.
"What we are witnessing today is the result of disastrous economic policies pursued by the Congress-led UPA government. It (government) has failed to manage the economy," he rued while blaming the Centre`s economic policies for the fall in rupee value against dollar.
Alleging that the Congress is using Food Bill as a poll plank for the next Lok Sabha elections, the CPI leader further said the UPA government is misleading the people.
"Definitely they are politicising the Food Security Bill as their plank for 2014 Lok Sabha elections. By politicising the Food Bill, government is trying to hoodwink the people," he said.
"People know which party should be removed from the office and which party should be taught a lesson. Congress party must not take people for granted," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Outrage over Tanmay Bhatt's video mocking Lata Mangeshkar, Sachin Tendulkar
- VHP's women wing Durga Vahini gives arms training to children!
- Heavy rain disrupts flight operations in Delhi
- MP: Liquor mafia attacks police, journalists with weapons
- Attack on African nationals: Gen VK Singh slammed for his statement
- Perez grabs 3rd spot, gives Force India 4th ever podium finish
- Two dead, including one suspect, in Houston shooting: Police
- Had I stayed with AB de Villiers a little longer, it would have been different: Virat Kohli
- IPL 2016: Individual awards for outstanding players
- IPL 2016 final: It was a total team effort, says SRH's captain David Warner