CPI to support Ansari`s re-election as VP
New Delhi: After having decided to abstain from voting in the Presidential poll, CPI on Wednesday extended support to UPA`s nominee Hamid Ansari for his re-election as Vice President.
"CPI will support Hamid Ansari in the Vice Presidential election," the party`s National Secretary D Raja told PTI after a CPI Central Secretariat meeting here.
CPI has become the third among Left parties to back 75- year-old Ansari after CPI(M) and Forward Bloc extended support to him for the August seven poll. RSP has decided to abstain in both the elections.
CPI has six MPs in both Houses of Parliament. CPI(M) has 27 MPs, Forward Bloc three and RSP two.
UPA is comfortably placed in the electoral college for the Vice Presidential poll comprising 790 MPs. Ansari has the backing of Mamata Banerjee`s Trinamool Congress and the support of Samajwadi Party, Bahujan Samaj Party and others.
RSP has decided to abstain in both the Presidential and Vice Presidential elections on the grounds that it could not support a UPA candidate as it was opposed to the policies of UPA-II government.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
More from Health
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Live: Jayalalithaa dies at 68 after suffering cardiac arrest; mortal remains brought to her official residence
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: Amma critical, nation's political fraternity expresses concern - Who said what