CPI to support Ansari`s re-election as VP
New Delhi: After having decided to abstain from voting in the Presidential poll, CPI on Wednesday extended support to UPA`s nominee Hamid Ansari for his re-election as Vice President.
"CPI will support Hamid Ansari in the Vice Presidential election," the party`s National Secretary D Raja told PTI after a CPI Central Secretariat meeting here.
CPI has become the third among Left parties to back 75- year-old Ansari after CPI(M) and Forward Bloc extended support to him for the August seven poll. RSP has decided to abstain in both the elections.
CPI has six MPs in both Houses of Parliament. CPI(M) has 27 MPs, Forward Bloc three and RSP two.
UPA is comfortably placed in the electoral college for the Vice Presidential poll comprising 790 MPs. Ansari has the backing of Mamata Banerjee`s Trinamool Congress and the support of Samajwadi Party, Bahujan Samaj Party and others.
RSP has decided to abstain in both the Presidential and Vice Presidential elections on the grounds that it could not support a UPA candidate as it was opposed to the policies of UPA-II government.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP likely to form next govt in Bihar: Mulayam Singh
- Haryana minister Krishan Bedi mocks Modi's 'Swachh Bharat Abhiyan'
- Shiv Sena spills ink on ORF chairperson Sudheendra Kulkarni's face
- Bihar Polls: Lalu Yadav's controversial tweet against Karpoori Thakur and PM Modi
- Hafiz Saeed teaching terrorism to children in Pakistan
- ISL 2015: Atletico de Kolkata vs Kerala Blasters - Preview
- Aarushi Talwar's grandfather breaks silence, writes open letter – Read
- 2015 Bihar Assembly Elections: 57% voting in first phase, women voters outnumber men
- Bigg Boss double trouble: Four lovebirds, one former couple inside the house
- Five ways to get pregnant fast!