CPI to witness leadership change next year
New Delhi: After the severe drubbing at the hustings in West Bengal, the CPI on Wednesday said it would witness leadership change at the party Congress next year.
However, General Secretary A B Bardhan said the proposed change in leadership had "nothing to do" with the recent debacle suffered by the Left, especially in the strongholds of West Bengal and Kerala.
"Our party constitution provides that no General Secretary can continue for more than three terms. All I can tell you is that there will be a change as far as the CPI is concerned. I have completed my term," the 86-year-old communist leader said in response to a question at a press conference here.
"We will have our 21st party Congress in Patna in March next year. That is where a new leadership is elected...But this change has nothing to do with the recent developments. We always take responsibility both at the collective and individual levels," Bardhan, who succeeded Indrajit Gupta as CPI General Secretary in 1996, said.
Briefing journalists on a two-day meeting of the party`s National Executive here, he said the CPI and other parties would sit together and decide on launching nationwide agitations soon on the policies of the UPA government.
The issues to be raised during these protests would include price rise, food security, land acquisition and corruption.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's speech at Gorakhnath temple
- Fateh Ka Fatwa: Is it time to introduce reforms in Muslim laws?
- BJP MLA Vikram Saini accused of voicing controversial statement
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?