CPI wants policy on illegal immigrants
Imphal: The Communist Party of India (CPI) on Tuesday demanded a national policy to detect illegal migration of foreigners into India.
"The illegal immigrant issue is a serious problem and the union government must initiate steps to evolve a national policy to detect illegal migration," CPI Manipur leader M. Nara told a news agency.
The National Council of the CPI, scheduled to be held from Sep 5 in New Delhi, will discuss the illegal migration from Bangladeshi and Myanmar, he said.
Blaming the central government for the violence in Assam, Nara, a former Manipur minister, said: "It must own up responsibility for the violence as they have completely failed to tackle the illegal Bangladeshi immigrants issue in Assam.
"This is not an old issue whether in Assam, Meghalaya or Manipur. The local people have been raising this issue but successive governments at the centre and in the state have failed to take it seriously," he said.
"The situation (illegal immigrants) has reached an explosive stage. You never know it might erupt in Manipur or Meghalaya any time as it has happened in Mumbai.
"Therefore, the government must evolve a national policy to treat this burning issue before it explodes all over the country."
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Yuvraj Singh completes 8000 runs in first class cricket
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark