CPI worker shot dead in WB, abducted teacher still traceless
Jhargram: A CPI(M) worker was shot dead by Maoists in West Midnapore district, police said on Monday.
The incident happened last night at Golbandhi area in the district when the man along with two others were on way to their home in bicycles, they said.
However, the two others were unharmed, police said.
Meanwhile, in Saluka village in Bankura district, Golok Duley, son of abducted school teacher and local CPI(M) leader Ranjit Duley, today held a press conference reportedly under Maoist-backed PCAPA`s duress where he reiterated the rebels` demand of releasing their eight cadre arrested for allegedly killing Sarenga police station in-charge on February 25.
Golok has held the press conference at the instruction of Sidhu Soren, a leader of Sidhu Kano Gana Committee, militant wing of the People`s Committee against Police Atrocities, sources said.
Golok also demanded release of 37 villagers, detained by security forces after an encounter with Maoists in West Midnapore district yesterday.
The encounter took place near Lalgarh in the district after Maoists fired at the security forces, looking for the teacher, abducted on gun-point by Naxals on March 5 while
supervising a class X examination in a government school in Sarenga area in Bankura district.
According to sources, Golak also submitted a memorandum to the Sarenga police station with Maoists` demands, which included compensation for the dead and injured people in
A Maoist identified as Gurcharan Hembram was killed in yesterday encounter.
In October 2009, Maoists had used the same tactics of kidnapping and releasing Sankrail Officer-in-Charge Atindranath Dutta in West Midnapore, for release of a dozen
arrested women Maoists sympathisers.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured