CPI(M) for constitutional amendment to bring SC/ST quota
New Delhi: Appealing Samajwadi Party not to disrupt Parliament on SC/ST quota issue, CPI(M) on Thursday said it supports constitutional amendments to this effect and suggested creation of "supernumerary post" to enable officers get their due.
Such a move will not create any "heartburns" among affected officers and ensure that officers promoted under reservations along with the non-reservation officers derive equal benefit from it, CPI(M) leader Sitaram Yechury said.
"Our point is while we fully support the constitutional amendment...Governement should create a supernumerary post for officers denied because of this reservation.
"So the reservation person will also get the advantage and the non-reservation person who will be superseded will also get justice," he told reporters here while while expressing concern over the stand-off between arch-rivals SP and BSP on the issue.
Noting that their suggestion has not been "opposed by any political party", he said creation of supernumerary post is feasible as there is "no dearth of sanctioned post that needs to be filled today".
There has been complete job freeze for a decade, he said.
Yechury also referred to the Supreme Court ruling that reserved posts should not be less than the proportion of reservation in a state.
He said Samajwadi Party should allow the House to function so that discussion could take place on the Constitutional Amendment Bill.
Besides, the House must be in order as a constitutional amendment can be passed only when there are more than 50 per cent of the strength of the House present and more than two-thirds of the members must vote in favour of it, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- SP leader seeks RS seat for Yakub's wife, sacked
- Political war of words erupts over Yakub Memon's execution
- Exclusive chat with Bajrangi Bhaijaan's Munni aka Harshaali Malhotra
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How do you cope up with ever changing environment in life?
- Mumbai: Woman pushed off from running local train by robbers
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement
- Indian Army finds cow bombs near border, Maoists hand suspected?
- Delhi's graduate beggar – The amount he earns will shock you!
- Govt formalises strategies to counter ISIS threat, maintain internal security