CPI(M) opposes formation of Telangana state
New Delhi: The CPI(M) today opposed the
formation of a separate Telangana state, saying it would open
a pandora`s box of demands for smaller states.
"Though it is a good initiative taken (by the Centre) to
defuse the situation in Andhra Pradesh, we have been opposed
to the formation of separate states. However, our opposition
did not stop the formation of Uttarakhand, Chhattisgarh and
Jharkhand which have seen no development since they came into
being," CPI(M) leader Sitaram Yechury told reporters here.
Noting that formation of a new state was a long process,
he said he would reserve his comments on the matter till the
Centre came out with its concrete plans to create a new
Observing that any decision to carve out a state from
Andhra Pradesh would open a pandora`s box, he said such a move
would create instability and disturbance as there were already
demands for separate states in various parts of the country.
"Our position has been that reorganisation of states
should be done only on the basis of the linguistic criteria.
No new criteria should be adopted for the purpose," he said,
adding that combating backwardness of these regions should be
the priority of the government.
Yechury held the Congress for being "singularly
responsible" for the backwardness of Telangana region as it
had remained in power in Andhra Pradesh most of the time.
"Smaller states not only weaken the federal structure,
they become more dependent on the Centre for funds. The three
new states still remain backward," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- News reporter Hemant Yadav shot by unidentified bikers
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Was Giani Zail Singh planning to topple Rajiv Gandhi govt in 1987?