CPI(M) plans to mobilise lakhs for nationwide protest
New Delhi: As the CPI(M) planned to mobilise around 25 lakh people across the country for their `Jail Bharo` agitation against price rise next month, its West Bengal unit will not be part of the programme but would do picketing only.
Defending the state unit`s decision, senior Polit Bureau member Sitaram Yechury said since the Left Front government was in power in Bengal, "the state never had a `jail bharo` (fill the jails) mode of protest".
"They will have their own form of agitation. The basic point is that we will have at least 25 lakh people courting arrest as part of our agitation," Yechury told reporters as the two-day Politburo meeting began here.
Four Left parties, which held a mass protest near Parliament a fortnight ago, have planned to intensify their protests against price rise by giving a call to fill the
prisons on April 8.
Bengal State Secretary and Politburo member Biman Bose said they will implement the protest action, but not do `jail bharo`.
Asked whether the issue of municipal elections slated in May was discussed in the Polit Bureau meeting, Yechury replied in the negative. "It was not on the agenda of the
meeting. First, the state committee will meet and send a report on the matter. Then we will discuss the issue," he said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!