CPI(M) seeks court-monitored probe into snooping allegations against Modi
New Delhi: The CPI(M) on Saturday demanded a court- monitored probe into the illegal surveillance of a woman which was allegedly ordered by Narendra Modi aide and BJP leader Amit Shah, saying it posed serious questions about the state of civil liberties in Gujarat.
"To use the powers of the state and further to use the anti-terrorist squad to snoop on the private life of a young woman, to follow her every movement, to snoop also on her other family members and friends, shows the utterly unethical and illegal practices and degeneration of the minimum norms of democratic governance under Modi," the party said in a statement here.
It said that the tape-recorded conversations between Shah and a senior police officer, who was the then Superintendent of the Gujarat anti-terror squad, regarding the "illegal surveillance mounted against a young woman on the orders of `saheb`, raises serious questions once again about the state of civil liberties in Gujarat."
Calling upon Gujarat government to take immediate action against Shah and the police officers who allegedly violated the Indian Telegraph Act, the party said they also have to be "prosecuted for the crime of stalking under the recently amended provisions of IPC related to crimes against women".
"It is well known that for Amit Shah there is only one `Saheb` and that is Modi. What was Modi`s interest in the matter?"
"In a case involving the Chief Minister, it would be appropriate for a court investigation into Modi`s involvement and, if found to be involved, he must be prosecuted," CPI(M) said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof