CPI(M) to move amendments to Food Security Bill: Yechury
New Delhi: CPI(M) today alleged the UPA government`s legislation will create "food insecurity" in the country and said the party will move amendments to the bill when it comes up for discussion and passage in Parliament.
"The present 35 kgs entitlement to BPL families will now be cut down by 10 kgs to just 25 kgs for a five-member family and even less if the family is smaller. This is punishment for a state like Kerala, where the family size may be three or four and therefore the entitlement will be only 15 kgs to 20 kgs," CPI(M) politburo said here.
The party said it had demanded that the minimum should be 35 kgs per household and should be increased if there are more members but the government has preferred to cut down on existing entitlements.
"This is food insecurity not security. ...When the ordinance comes, we will examine if it is the same draft or a different draft. Then we will put our concrete amendments to improve the food security to make it universal and to make it cheaper," Party leader Sitaram Yechury said after the politburo meeting.
The politburo alleged the bill is highly centralised and gives all powers to the Centre and all responsibilities, including a substantial share of the financial responsibility, to the states.
"The ordinance, in a mischievous addition, gives the central government the right to introduce cash schemes instead of food in the Rules as and when it decides, in other words to impose its anti-people scheme even if state governments oppose it," the party said.
Yechury also slammed the government for bypassing parliament and bringing ordinance, saying it is "very anti-democratic". "Only under "exceptional emergency can such a route be adopted," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Team Yogi Adityanath: List of Yogi's ministers with their portfolios - Check who got what