CPI(M) top brass discuss ways to politically isolate Cong, BJP
New Delhi: The CPI(M) leadership has begun discussions here on the ways to politically isolate Congress and BJP by joining hands with regional and other Left parties, as it gave final touches to preparations for the upcoming assembly elections in Himachal Pradesh and Gujarat.
The party Central Committee, meeting here till Sunday would also hold parleys to prepare for next year`s elections in its last stronghold Tripura, where the CPI(M)-led Left Front is ruling for 19 years now, CPI(M) sources said.
A major fillip to the discussion today came in the form of election results in Jangipur in West Bengal where President Pranab Mukherjee`s son, Abhijit, who was supported by Trinamool Congress, won with a slender margin of 2,500 votes, the sources said.
"The result reflects our real strength vis-a-vis that of the Congress-Trinamool combine," they said, adding that Pranab Mukherjee had won the seat by a huge margin of over 1.28 lakh votes in the 2009 Lok Sabha election which has come down drastically this time.
The sources said this could be indicative of what is going to come in the panchayat elections next year, though issues then would be different.
The leaders have started reviewing the evolving political situation following Trinamool Congress withdrawing support to the UPA-II government.
The major Left party has already roped in non-Congress, non-BJP parties like TDP, BJD and JD(S) on issues relating to the government`s economic policies, prices, unemployment and corruption, organising nationwide protests on these issues. Some more joint strikes and protest actions are slated in the coming months.
The CPI(M) Central Committee would also discuss issues like FDI in retail, aviation and insurance sector, food security to be raised in the Winter Session of Parliament.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!