CPI(M) top brass discuss ways to politically isolate Cong, BJP
New Delhi: The CPI(M) leadership has begun discussions here on the ways to politically isolate Congress and BJP by joining hands with regional and other Left parties, as it gave final touches to preparations for the upcoming assembly elections in Himachal Pradesh and Gujarat.
The party Central Committee, meeting here till Sunday would also hold parleys to prepare for next year`s elections in its last stronghold Tripura, where the CPI(M)-led Left Front is ruling for 19 years now, CPI(M) sources said.
A major fillip to the discussion today came in the form of election results in Jangipur in West Bengal where President Pranab Mukherjee`s son, Abhijit, who was supported by Trinamool Congress, won with a slender margin of 2,500 votes, the sources said.
"The result reflects our real strength vis-a-vis that of the Congress-Trinamool combine," they said, adding that Pranab Mukherjee had won the seat by a huge margin of over 1.28 lakh votes in the 2009 Lok Sabha election which has come down drastically this time.
The sources said this could be indicative of what is going to come in the panchayat elections next year, though issues then would be different.
The leaders have started reviewing the evolving political situation following Trinamool Congress withdrawing support to the UPA-II government.
The major Left party has already roped in non-Congress, non-BJP parties like TDP, BJD and JD(S) on issues relating to the government`s economic policies, prices, unemployment and corruption, organising nationwide protests on these issues. Some more joint strikes and protest actions are slated in the coming months.
The CPI(M) Central Committee would also discuss issues like FDI in retail, aviation and insurance sector, food security to be raised in the Winter Session of Parliament.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- DNA: 1965 Indo-Pak war- Analysis of India's victory and exposing Pakistan's lies
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'