CPI(M) top brass discuss ways to politically isolate Cong, BJP
New Delhi: The CPI(M) leadership has begun discussions here on the ways to politically isolate Congress and BJP by joining hands with regional and other Left parties, as it gave final touches to preparations for the upcoming assembly elections in Himachal Pradesh and Gujarat.
The party Central Committee, meeting here till Sunday would also hold parleys to prepare for next year`s elections in its last stronghold Tripura, where the CPI(M)-led Left Front is ruling for 19 years now, CPI(M) sources said.
A major fillip to the discussion today came in the form of election results in Jangipur in West Bengal where President Pranab Mukherjee`s son, Abhijit, who was supported by Trinamool Congress, won with a slender margin of 2,500 votes, the sources said.
"The result reflects our real strength vis-a-vis that of the Congress-Trinamool combine," they said, adding that Pranab Mukherjee had won the seat by a huge margin of over 1.28 lakh votes in the 2009 Lok Sabha election which has come down drastically this time.
The sources said this could be indicative of what is going to come in the panchayat elections next year, though issues then would be different.
The leaders have started reviewing the evolving political situation following Trinamool Congress withdrawing support to the UPA-II government.
The major Left party has already roped in non-Congress, non-BJP parties like TDP, BJD and JD(S) on issues relating to the government`s economic policies, prices, unemployment and corruption, organising nationwide protests on these issues. Some more joint strikes and protest actions are slated in the coming months.
The CPI(M) Central Committee would also discuss issues like FDI in retail, aviation and insurance sector, food security to be raised in the Winter Session of Parliament.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mumbai: Police arrests 4 schoolboys for raping classmate
- Haryana minister Anil Vij gets into spat with Fatehabad SP Sangeeta Kalia
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's controversial statement on PoK
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's full speech in Parliament
- DNA: Heart-wrenching stories of Kashmiri pandits
- Tamasha movie review: Poignant and riveting; Ranbir's the master here!
- Kim Jong-Un issues bizarre diktat, asks North Korean men to copy his hairstyle, women to follow his wife
- Muslim man sends 'talaq' SMS to wife after learning about her gang-rape
- WATCH: Rare CCTV video of Ajmal Kasab and other terrorists of 26/11 Mumbai attacks
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's speech in Parliament on Constitution debate