CPI`s lone vote crucial in Orissa RS polls
Bhubaneswar: Realising that its one vote
was crucial for the ruling BJD in Rajya Sabha elections, CPI
kept its cards close to the chest apparently to make a better
bargain over Posco issue, sources said today.
CPI, which has one MLA in the 147-member Orissa assembly,
has been demanding shifting of the proposed site of the Rs
52,000 crore project near Paradip.
"We have not taken any decision on whether to support
BJD in Rajya Sabha polls. Party`s state secretariat is likely
to meet tomorrow to discuss the matter," CPI`s state secretary
Dibakar Nayak told PTI adding his party`s support to Naveen
Patnaik led BJD was "purely issue based."
The lone CPI MLA Adikanda Sethi said "I will cast my
vote according to the decision of the party."
Though CPI had seat adjustment with BJD for 2009 general
elections, it had been opposing the ruling party on various
issues including Posco. "Our stand on Posco issue remained
unchanged even as CPI shared dias with Naveen Patnaik
during the elections," Nayak said.
However, BJD`s chief strategist and MP Pyarimohan
Mohapatra claimed "I am confident that CPI will vote in
favour of BJD in the Rajya Sabha polls."
Ruling BJD has an edge over others for the three Rajya
Sabha seats falling vacant from July 1 as it`s strength in
assembly is 103.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal