CPM admits biggest responsibility in forging Left unity
Kolkata: The CPI(M), under flak from Left
constituents for erosion in support base, on Friday said that as
the biggest Left party, it had the major responsibility in
forging Left unity to carry forward pro-people movements.
"CPI(M) being the biggest party, we have the major
responsibility. We hope all the other Left parties will also
accept this responsibility, keeping in mind the strengthening
of the Left Front and based on our movements for the people,"
CPI(M) General Secretary Prakash Karat told the 16th party
congress of the Forward Bloc.
Stating that the Left Front has had successes and
failures during its 33 years of rule in West Bengal, Karat
said these will have to be examined objectively and rectified
wherever necessary. "We cannot progress without objectively
assessing the successes and failures".
Earlier, CPI(M) General Secretary A B Bardhan said the
people of West Bengal would see through the opposition`s
"campaign of disinformation" and rally behind the Left
"For this, there is common, but differentiated
responsibilities of the parties -- the bigger party bearing a
better share. There just cannot be a return of the status quo.
Time has moved on. There has to be a fresh thinking," he said.
Yesterday, Forward Bloc state secretary Asok Ghosh had
said the Front must rectify its faults to prevent Trinamool
Congress from taking advantage.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- IND vs AUS, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...
- BMC poll results: Shiv Sena approaches Congress for pact, party says 'not interested'
- Indian man Srinivas Kuchibhotla shot dead in Kansas bar while watching basketball game - Know what happened