CPM `comeback` to Lalgarh after a year and a half
Jhargram: One and a half years after
being ousted from Lalgarh by Maoists and Naxal-backed PCPA,
thousands of CPI-M supporters today made their presence felt
again in the area, holding a 12-km march and rally amidst
tight security arrangements.
Holding CPI(M) flags, an estimated 10,000-strong mob,
including women, led by CPI(M) zonal committee secretary of
Lalgarh Anuj Pandey, marched 12 kms from Dharampur and
Goaltore to Lalgarh. The entire stretch in the Maoist-hit area
had already been sanitised by police and joint forces.
Some of the supporters carried traditional bows and
arrows and raised slogans against Maoists and PCPA.
Pandey, who was evicted by the Maoists from his residence
at Dharampur in the Lalgrh area on June 13, 2009 with the
house having been destroyed, had come back home on September
two this year.
The marchers went round the Lalgarh market and held a
rally in front of the Lalgarh CPI(M) office which had been
damaged by the Maoists a year and a half back.
Asked how CPI(M) could hold such a big rally in the area
when this could have sparked a law and order problem, West
Midnapore`s Superintendent of Police Monoj Kumar Verma said
they had taken the permission a couple of days back.
On whether separate police arrangement was made for the
rally, Verma said, "We already have adequate police forces in
the area including the joint forces. So there was no need for
a separate arrangement."
The supporters on reaching Lalgarh reopened the CPI-M
party office which was torched by the Maoists and Anuj Pandey
unfurled the party flag.
Speaking at the rally, Pandey said, "Some people in the
name of politics want disturbance in the area, but we are
peace-loving people and we want peace."
He said in the last two years 58 CPI-M activists were
He requested the youths of the area not to be under the
influence of Maoists and come back to the mainstream.
A senior district police officer said the administration
wanted to see increase in political activity so as to help
ease tension that persisted in the area.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Know the significance of Devshayani Ekadashi
- Punjab: Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Gurdaspur
- Punjab: Gurdaspur gunbattle ends, all terrorists killed
- Grief stricken people shout slogans as Kalam's body carried out of hospital
- Mumbai blasts case: Maharashtra govt opposes Yakub Memon's mercy plea in SC
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- FORMER PRESIDENT OF INDIA APJ ABDUL KALAM PASSES AWAY
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Punjab's Gurdaspur; 3 killed