CPM`s language similar to that of terrorists: Modi
Ahmedabad: Narendra Modi on Sunday took on CPM saying that the language used by them is similar to that of terrorists.
Modi was reacting to a speech made by CPM`s Idukki district secretary M M Mani in which he stated that there had been instances of the party eliminating political rivals.
"When leader of a political party says that we murder our political rivals, it is dangerous to our democracy. Where is NHRC (National Human Rights Commission)? We should raise our voice against such acts. Our workers keep giving their lives in Kerala," Modi said.
"Is Delhi government sleeping and what is Kerala government doing on the issue," Modi remarked.
"This language is same that of terrorists, Maoists and Naxalists," he further said.
Mani`s speech had sparked a raging political row in the country with the Congress and BJP saying it exposed CPM`s "politics of violence". Speaking at a CPM event yesterday, Mani was trying to de-link the party from the May 4 murder in Kozhikode that has led to the arrest of about half a dozen of its leaders and activists.
"If the party had had any role in the murder, it would not have been afraid to admit it," Mani bragged.
As proof, he reeled off details about three earlier murders of political opponents.
Mani said the CPM had in the past drawn up a list of opponents in his district and, consequently, three Congress activists were killed.
The first, Ancheri Baby -- a worker of Congress labour arm INTUC -- was bumped off in the 1980s; another was hacked to death and the third beaten to death, he said.
For good measure, Mani warned that the party would not shy away from neutralising its foes in the future, too, if necessary.
His comments have come as a blow to CPM state secretary Pinarayi Vijayan`s efforts to distance the party from the Chandrasekharan murder on the ground that physical annihilation of detractors was not part of party policy.
Congress chief minister Oommen Chandy described Mani`s comments as "serious" and said that suitable legal action would be taken.
Rubbing it in, he asked Vijayan to react to Mani`s claims.
State police chief Jacob Punnoose has asked the district superintendent of police for a report on the contents of Mani`s speech.
Leaders of the ruling United Democratic Front have demanded that a case be registered against Mani.
The mother of Ancheri Baby asked a private TV channel that the 1980s killing should be reinvestigated. All the seven people arrested in the case were acquitted for want of evidence.
As for Chandrasekharan`s murder, sources claim the investigators have obtained evidence that the plot was hatched at the higher levels of the party.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Delhi gang-rape: Show juvenile rapist's face to the world, demand Nirbhaya's parents
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case