CPWR withdraws support to Vivekanand birth anniversary event
Chicago: The Council for a Parliament of the World`s Religions has disassociated itself from an event being held here next week to celebrate the 150th birth anniversary of Swami Vivekananda, saying it was co-sponsored by groups "promoting controversial political positions".
"We honour Swami Vivekananda and that legacy he left creating interfaith cooperation to build a just, peaceful, and sustainable world. Our organisation was not informed that an event we were asked to co-sponsor was also co-sponsored by organisations promoting controversial political positions," CPWR said in a statement.
The Council for a Parliament of the World`s Religions (CPWR) is the host and organiser of the Parliament of the World`s Religions since 1893. Among its honorary international advisors include Mata Amritanandamayi Devi and the Dalai Lama.
"While we do honour and promote the ideals of Swami Vivekananda, we respectfully withdraw our name from any co-hosting or co-sponsorship of the `World Without Borders` event and any connection to this event or its other co-sponsors," CPWR said in its statement that did not mention any particular organisation or individual. The statement was signed by Mary Nelson, its executive director and A Malik Mujahid, chair of the board.
According to the event flier and its website, `World Without Borders` to celebrate the 150th birth anniversary of Swami Vivekananda being organised by the Chicago-chapter of Vishwa Hindu Parishad-America. Baba Ramdev is listed as its chief guest for the two day event on September 27 and 28.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Mumbai Film City shoot-out: CCTV footage help police arrest assailants
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Salman Khan's `Bajrangi Bhaijaan` teaser to be out in two days?
- What couldn't be done in last 10 years, NDA govt did in one year: Smriti Irani in Amethi