Crack-down on mafia leads to arrests of over 770 persons
Mumbai: In a crack-down on the oil and
sand mafia in the state after the murder of Additional
Collector Yashwant Sonawane in January, the state police have
arrested over 770 people so far, a senior official said.
The action began after Sonawane was burnt alive by
persons associated with the oil adulteration racket.
Additional collector Yashwant Sonawane was burnt alive by
Popat Shinde and others near Manmad on January 25 when
Sonawane intercepted fuel adulteration that was underway.
Shinde too got burnt, and later died.
"Since the murder, strict orders have been issued to the
police to trace the people associated with oil, sand, food
adulteration rackets. There were special orders particularly
to act against oil and sand mafia," a Home department official
414 people associated with oil adulteration rackets and
357 linked to sand mafia were arrested in raids conducted in a
a joint operation by police and revenue department officials,
the official added.
Police arrested 11 persons in connection with Sonawane`s
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Amit Shah addresses BJP's mega convention in Delhi
- Bikaner: 13-year-old schoolgirl raped by eight teachers
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?