Crack-down on mafia leads to arrests of over 770 persons
Mumbai: In a crack-down on the oil and
sand mafia in the state after the murder of Additional
Collector Yashwant Sonawane in January, the state police have
arrested over 770 people so far, a senior official said.
The action began after Sonawane was burnt alive by
persons associated with the oil adulteration racket.
Additional collector Yashwant Sonawane was burnt alive by
Popat Shinde and others near Manmad on January 25 when
Sonawane intercepted fuel adulteration that was underway.
Shinde too got burnt, and later died.
"Since the murder, strict orders have been issued to the
police to trace the people associated with oil, sand, food
adulteration rackets. There were special orders particularly
to act against oil and sand mafia," a Home department official
414 people associated with oil adulteration rackets and
357 linked to sand mafia were arrested in raids conducted in a
a joint operation by police and revenue department officials,
the official added.
Police arrested 11 persons in connection with Sonawane`s
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray