Crack-down on mafia leads to arrests of over 770 persons
Mumbai: In a crack-down on the oil and
sand mafia in the state after the murder of Additional
Collector Yashwant Sonawane in January, the state police have
arrested over 770 people so far, a senior official said.
The action began after Sonawane was burnt alive by
persons associated with the oil adulteration racket.
Additional collector Yashwant Sonawane was burnt alive by
Popat Shinde and others near Manmad on January 25 when
Sonawane intercepted fuel adulteration that was underway.
Shinde too got burnt, and later died.
"Since the murder, strict orders have been issued to the
police to trace the people associated with oil, sand, food
adulteration rackets. There were special orders particularly
to act against oil and sand mafia," a Home department official
414 people associated with oil adulteration rackets and
357 linked to sand mafia were arrested in raids conducted in a
a joint operation by police and revenue department officials,
the official added.
Police arrested 11 persons in connection with Sonawane`s
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Maruti Vitara Brezza receives over 1 lakh bookings
- Boman Irani was 'professional' with son Kayoze on '...Michael Mishra' set
- UP assembly elections: Congress plans massive road show, public meeting on July 25
- Left, JD(U) leaders to visit Una today
- BJP hits back at Pakistan, says talks with Islamabad only on terrorism issue and not on Kashmir