Crack team of NSG commandos to take position at IGIA
Manesar (Gurgaon): A crack team of NSG
commandos equipped to undertake heli-borne operations is all
set to take position at the Indira Gandhi International
Airport to thwart hijacks or terror attacks.
The commandos, who are already deployed as a part of
the `Quick Reaction Team` at a new base near the airport will
be made fully operational by this year end, official sources
A small unit of the National Security Guard (NSG)
commandos have been stationed here after the elite force got
new land for quick operations at the sensitive location, in
the aftermath of last year`s Mumbai attacks.
The commandos will only have to open a door and enter
the tarmac of the airport to deal with any hijack or a terror
act, the sources said. The logistics and infrastructure is
getting on place and the squad would be made fully operational
by this year, they said.
A helipad will also be ready for the commandos to be
airlifted within the same timeframe.
The special anti-hijack commando unit is armed with
the latest weaponry of guns like MP5`s, glock pistols and
devices for aircraft intervention.
The force`s anti-hijack unit would maintain an optimal
strength of 50-60 commandos for "swift and quick operations"
both for anti-hijack and anti-terror duties, they said.
Additional reinforcements from the force`s garrison in
Manesar would reach in the event of a larger operation, they
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena Bora murder saga: 12 questions that police asked Peter Mukerjea during 12-hour grilling?
- Sunny Leone steamy condom ad (uncensored): Watch why this video is making news
- Indrani Mukerjea confesses to her role in Sheena Bora murder case
- 'Insulted' Samajwadi Party walks out of 'Janata Parivar', to contest Bihar polls alone
- BJP-RSS review meet, Day 2: NDA's education policy, Patel quota stir on agenda