Create congenial climate in units: Army Chief
Leh: Against the backdrop of stand-offs between officers and jawans, Army Chief Gen Bikarm Singh today asked the battalion commanders to create a "congenial climate" in their units for the overall growth of the organisation.
"Gen Singh emphasised the core values of the Army and stressed upon the Commanding Officers creating a congenial climate in their units to enable collective growth of the organization," the Army said in a release.
He is on a three-day visit to the Ladakh sector including the Siachen Glacier.
The remarks come after three stand-offs between officers and jawans in the last one year.
In the latest incident in Samba, jawans and officers were engaged in a stand-off at the 16 Cavalry Unit after the suicide of a jawan.
In a similar incident, jawans and officers had clashed in Nyoma in Ladakh in May leaving the Commanding Officer and four other ranks inujured.
Soon after the Samba incident, the Army Chief had issued instructions to the officers to take corrective actions to avoid such incidents and strengthen the culture of the 1.3 million-strong force.
Meanwhile, in his first visit to the world`s highest battlefield, Army Chief Gen Bikram Singh visited the Siachen Base Camp and Eastern Ladakh to review the operational preparedness of troops in the region.
"Gen Singh visited the Siachen Base Camp and forward posts in Eastern Ladakh during second day of his visit to Ladakh where he was briefed by the formation commanders on the situation there," an Army release said here.
Gen Singh also flew along the Line of Actual Control (LAC) to lay wreath at the Siachen War Memorial there.
While interacting with the troops, the Army Chief complimented them for their dedication and steadfastness while guarding the borders in such hazardous conditions. He also visited the Gurudwara Pathar Sahab in the evening.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Disruption of Parliament not acceptable, for God's sake, do your job: President Pranab Mukherjee to MPs