Crime against women on the rise in trains
New Delhi: Despite initiating steps to
prevent crime in trains and stations, there has been an
increase in cases of misconduct against women passengers.
As per data available with the Railways, a total of 712
cases including rape, murder, robbery and eve-teasing were
reported against women and children in railway premises in
2011 as against 501 cases in the previous year.
There were 15 rape and 362 eve-teasing cases reported in
2011 as against 10 and 352 similar cases in 2010.
Incidentally, in order to check increasing incidents of
crime, RPF and GRP personnel escort about 3,500 express and
"Currently all important trains including Rajdhani,
Shatabdi and Duronto are escorted by security men and steps
are being taken to strengthen security at stations by
implementing integrated security system," a senior Railway
Ministry official said.
Railways is installing CCTV cameras at 202 stations as
part of the integrated security system. There are about 8,000
railway stations in India.
"We are regularly reviewing the safety and security of
the trains and adopting proactive measures to ensure safety of
passengers," the official said.
He said anti-drugging squads are also functional.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- More than 9 lakh people participated in the oath-taking ceremony of Donald Trump
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog