Crime rate against women increased up to 32%: Vyas
Dehra Dun: The crime rate against women has increased up to 32 percent in the country since independence, National Commission of Women Chairperson Girija
Vyas said on Monday.
"Crime rate against women has increased in the range of 8 to 32 percent in various areas of the country since independence," Vyas said, while addressing a seminar on women empowerment here.
Expressing concern over the figure, Vyas said states should develop a system that would enable police to act immediately on complaints of atrocities against women.
"Uttar Pradesh has a woman chief minister but it tops the list of states where maximum number of crimes have been registered against women," she said.
Vyas said there must be tough laws to deal with crime against women which should be implemented effectively. "Women should be informed about them through government agencies and NGOs and there should be immediate rehabilitation of victims and they should be provided quality education."
Efforts were been made to pass the bill for Women Reservation in Parliament and State Assemblies and some of the states have provided 50 percent reservation for women in panchayats and the exercise has started showing good results, the NCW chairperson told reporters after the seminar.
Women empowerment would be possible only when women from poor and backward areas are elected to panchayats, she added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena's diary reveals disturbed relationship with parents: DNA reports
- Shameless cheating in exams, when will Bihar learn?
- Setback for Air India as 30 Boeing 787 Dreamliner pilots resign
- Sheena case: Indrani quizzed jointly with Peter, denies killing daughter
- Trade unions` strike hits normal life across India
- Sonakshi Sinha silences Twitter troll for calling her ugly and it's epic!
- Furkan, not Tiger Memon, arrested in Pakistan
- Modi effect! Pakistan-occupied Kashmir wants to be part of India
- Sheena Bora murder saga: 12 questions that police asked Peter Mukerjea during 12-hour grilling?
- Sunny Leone steamy condom ad (uncensored): Watch why this video is making news