Criminal charges against actor-MP Raj Babbar framed
New Delhi: A Delhi court has framed criminal
charges against Bollywood actor and Congress MP Raj Babbar in
the case of pelting stones at policemen during a protest march
of his former party Samajwadi Party near the Prime Minister`s
residence here in 2000.
"I, Pritam Singh (judge), do hereby charge you that you
along with co-accused on May 9, 2000... in furtherance of your
common intention formed an unlawful assembly and restrained
complainant SI Mahender Singh and other policemen from
performing their duties by throwing stones," the court said.
Babbar, the then Lok Sabha MP from Agra, expelled SP
leader Amar Singh and MP Sarvraj Singh along with over 800
party activists had tried to stage a rally outside the
residence of the Prime Minister against water crisis in his
constituency, the chargesheet said.
"I plead not guilty and claim trial," the actor told
Metropolitan Magistrate Pritam Singh, who in turn fixed the
matter for recording of statements of prosecution witnesses on
July 1, the next date of hearing.
The court also framed similar charges against Sarvraj
Singh, who also preferred to contest the case.
Amar Singh was discharged from the case on February
19, 2004, by the Delhi High Court which had set aside the
lower court`s order of taking cognisance of the offence.
The leaders have been charged under provisions of the
IPC, dealing with rioting, hurt, assaulting policemen to deter
them from performing duty.
The actor-turned-politician and SP supporters had
gathered on May 9, 2000 to take out a protest march against
non-supply of water in Agra, the chargesheet said.
Despite the fact that permission to hold the rally was
not granted, the accused leaders and 800 others first
assembled at South Avenue and then proceeded towards Teen
Murti Road and attempted to scale the barricades, it said.
On being objected to, Babbar threw a pitcher and stones
at policemen and others also resorted to stone pelting, it
said, adding, they obstructed the cops from performing their
Later, an FIR was lodged at Chankyapuri police station
against the leaders.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- LIVE: Five nations pull out of SAARC Summit to express solidarity with India over Uri attack
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof