‘Criminal justice system in India needs overhaul’
New Delhi: The Delhi High Court has said the
justice delivery system needs overhauling as the poor are
not getting timely justice in higher courts which are kept
occupied with cases involving persons with money or power.
"The whole criminal justice system needs overhauling so
that the constitutional mandate of equality before law is made
meaningful and it should not be the case that higher courts
are kept occupied by the persons with money or power, as is
the case today," the court said.
The court made the remarks while setting aside the
conviction of a poor vegetable vendor who had to spend seven
years in jail due to delay in disposing his appeal in the High
The trial court had awarded seven years jail term to the
vendor for allegedly killing his wife in 2003 and he filed an
appeal in 2004 on which the High Court took six years to pass
In the verdict, Justice S N Dhingra found him innocent
and acquitted him but he had already spent his jail term.
"In this case, the High Court did not find time to hear
the appeals of other two appellants who continued to remain in
jail during trial period as well as appeal period for no crime
of theirs," the court said adding the High Court should fix a
time limit for disposing of such appeals.
"Neither the criminal should be let off by default as
the High Court has no time to hear appeals nor should the
innocents rot in jail by default," the court said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’