`Criteria for inclusion of tribes in ST list subjective`
New Delhi: A Parliamentary Standing Committee has found the criteria for inclusion of tribes in the Scheduled List "subjective" and "archaic" and recommended revision of the process for developing a comprehensive method.
The Parliamentary Standing Committee on Social Justice and Empowerment in its report on "The Constitution (ST) Order (Second Amendment) Bill, 2012" has also said that it be apprised within three months on the steps taken to re-examine the process of inclusion of tribes in the Scheduled List.
"The criterion for inclusion of tribes is too subjective and somewhat archaic. Therefore, the matter be revisited and a comprehensive criteria evolved both for inclusion and exclusion based on comprehensive anthropological and socio- economic studies and unassailable empirical evidence," the Committee said in its report.
It also said the entire process of consultation regarding inclusion/exclusion of caste/community in the ST list be comprehensively re-examined and the committee apprised within three months of the presentation of this report to Parliament.
The report was tabled in Parliament today.
Regarding `Hill Korwa` and `Abhujh Maria` communities in of Chhattisgarh, the Committee recommended their inclusion in the ST list.
However, it sought a justification from the Ministry as to why 75 groups in 17 states and one Union Territory after being identified and categorised as Particularly Vulnerable Tribal Groups (PTGs) have not yet been accorded the ST status.
"The Committee would like to be apprised of the grounds for not including these PTGs in the list of ST of respective states within three months of the presentation of this report along with the considered views of Registrar General of India, NCST and concerned states in the matter," it said.
Regarding inclusion of `Marati` community from Kerala in the ST list, it said, "Government did not follow the prescribed procedure in the strictest manner as required while delisting the community in 2002-03."
It said there are sufficient grounds and justification for re-inclusion of Marati community in the ST list of the state.
"A whole generation of Marati community was deprived of the benefits of reservation between 2003, when it was delisted, and 2013 when it is sought to be re-included," the report said.
The committee was headed by Hemanand Biswal, Chairman, Standing Committee on Social Justice and Empowerment.
It also instructed the government to initiate urgent action to pass the Bill in Parliament in the current session so as to rectify the "wrong" done to Marati community and also to include Hill Korwa and Abhuj Maria in ST list of respective states.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- Kejriwal accuses Centre of trying to rule Delhi through LG
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- Expect that Rahul will be Congress president in 2015: Jairam Ramesh
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Amethi: Rahul Gandhi faces protests from angry villagers
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- IPL 2015: Rajasthan Royals vs Royal Challengers Bangalore - As it happened...
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'