Crowd puller not necessarily a PM candidate: Uma Bharti
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: In a statement that could ruffle some feathers, firebrand BJP leader Uma Bharti has said that if crowds gather to hear someone, then that does not mean the person is party’s prime ministerial candidate.
Talking to a news channel, Uma Bharti said, “People flock to hear me too. I am sorry to say this. I am not a PM candidate. Crowds gather to hear Varun Gandhi too. He is not a prime ministerial candidate.” Her answer was to a question as to whether the BJP should declare Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi as the party’s PM candidate as he has the charisma to attract huge crowds.
“So, if people assemble to hear someone, that does not mean that he is a PM candidate,” said Bharti, in an obvious reference to Modi.
However, she added that it was good that there were leaders in the Bhartiya Janata Party who had the ability to attract huge crowds.
When asked to react on the statement by Varun Gandhi that BJP president Rajnath Singh had the same qualities as a leader as former prime minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee , Uma Bharti said, “No one can be compared to Atal ji and Advani ji.”
She also took a dig at the Congress saying that their leaders had the mentality of a ‘slave’.
Clamour has been growing amongst the BJP cadre to name Modi as their PM candidate. However, the party is also said to be beset by the ambitions of other leaders who harbour dream of occupying the top post of the country.
At the same time, there is resistance by allies of BJP, like JD(U), to make Modi NDA’s PM candidate.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof