Crowd puller not necessarily a PM candidate: Uma Bharti
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: In a statement that could ruffle some feathers, firebrand BJP leader Uma Bharti has said that if crowds gather to hear someone, then that does not mean the person is party’s prime ministerial candidate.
Talking to a news channel, Uma Bharti said, “People flock to hear me too. I am sorry to say this. I am not a PM candidate. Crowds gather to hear Varun Gandhi too. He is not a prime ministerial candidate.” Her answer was to a question as to whether the BJP should declare Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi as the party’s PM candidate as he has the charisma to attract huge crowds.
“So, if people assemble to hear someone, that does not mean that he is a PM candidate,” said Bharti, in an obvious reference to Modi.
However, she added that it was good that there were leaders in the Bhartiya Janata Party who had the ability to attract huge crowds.
When asked to react on the statement by Varun Gandhi that BJP president Rajnath Singh had the same qualities as a leader as former prime minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee , Uma Bharti said, “No one can be compared to Atal ji and Advani ji.”
She also took a dig at the Congress saying that their leaders had the mentality of a ‘slave’.
Clamour has been growing amongst the BJP cadre to name Modi as their PM candidate. However, the party is also said to be beset by the ambitions of other leaders who harbour dream of occupying the top post of the country.
At the same time, there is resistance by allies of BJP, like JD(U), to make Modi NDA’s PM candidate.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: 8-year-old boy dies after falling into pothole
- Woman commits suicide in UP after posting message on social media
- Nirbhaya gang-rape convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail
- Rajnath Singh, Mehbooba Mufti hold joint press conference on Kashmir violence
- Will appoint nodal officer for Kashmiris: Rajnath Singh
- Sensex firms up 78 points in early trade on F&O expiry
- Piers Morgan pokes fun at India's performance in Rio: Here's how Virender Sehwag SHUT him down
- Raj Thackeray defies SC order, MNS ties Dahi-Handi at 49 feet in Thane
- Fashion for me is feeling glamorous, confident: Shraddha Kapoor
- Jio does Apple, people throng Reliance Stores for free 4G test SIM