Crowd puller not necessarily a PM candidate: Uma Bharti
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: In a statement that could ruffle some feathers, firebrand BJP leader Uma Bharti has said that if crowds gather to hear someone, then that does not mean the person is party’s prime ministerial candidate.
Talking to a news channel, Uma Bharti said, “People flock to hear me too. I am sorry to say this. I am not a PM candidate. Crowds gather to hear Varun Gandhi too. He is not a prime ministerial candidate.” Her answer was to a question as to whether the BJP should declare Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi as the party’s PM candidate as he has the charisma to attract huge crowds.
“So, if people assemble to hear someone, that does not mean that he is a PM candidate,” said Bharti, in an obvious reference to Modi.
However, she added that it was good that there were leaders in the Bhartiya Janata Party who had the ability to attract huge crowds.
When asked to react on the statement by Varun Gandhi that BJP president Rajnath Singh had the same qualities as a leader as former prime minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee , Uma Bharti said, “No one can be compared to Atal ji and Advani ji.”
She also took a dig at the Congress saying that their leaders had the mentality of a ‘slave’.
Clamour has been growing amongst the BJP cadre to name Modi as their PM candidate. However, the party is also said to be beset by the ambitions of other leaders who harbour dream of occupying the top post of the country.
At the same time, there is resistance by allies of BJP, like JD(U), to make Modi NDA’s PM candidate.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31