CRPF `CoBRA` faces snake trouble!
New Delhi: Ironic it may sound, elite
anti-naxal commando squad CoBRA, which was named after one of
the most venomous reptile, is now facing incidence of snake
bites among its personnel posted in deep jungles.
Ten battalions of the Commando Battalion for Resolute
Action (CoBRA) are deployed in the dense jungles of Odisha,
Chhattisgarh, West Bengal, Jharkhand and Bihar to undertake
intelligence based anti-Maoist operations and provide quality
assistance to regular CRPF and other state police units in
Each CoBRA battalion has about 1,000 personnel.
Faced with a number of incidents of snake bites, the
CoBRA now wants to procure more than 75 units of snake venom
The kit, assembled by few Indian companies, comes with an
extractor, an anti-dote vial and other medical aids. Security
forces deployed for counter-insurgency and other operations in
jungles are provided with these kits.
The CoBRA, which plans to get 76 such kits, will also
distribute it to some Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF)
units deployed for operations in naxal-affected states.
"The CoBRA commandos also undertake long haul ambush
operations in dense jungles where they stay for close to two
days at a stretch sometimes. In case of any snake bite
incident, these kits come handy and act as life savers," a
senior official of the force said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will appoint nodal officer for Kashmiris: Rajnath Singh
- DNA: Analyzing ground reality of life of poor and vagrant people in India
- DNA: Analysis of press conference between Rajnath Singh and Mehbooba Mufti on Kashmir violence
- DNA: Analysis of India's weaknesses in new inventions and discoveries
- DNA: Prasoon Joshi's hard-hitting poem depicting society's mentality towards females
- Sensex drops 224 points; Nifty dips below 8,600-mark
- Have every right to intervene if no Syrian Kurd withdrawal: Turkey
- Not given chance to explore my acting abilities: Shamita Shetty
- Sakshi Malik expresses desire to meet Virender Sehwag – Read Viru's HILARIOUS reply
- Airtel upgrades over 9,000 network sites under Open Network