`CRPF committed most offences among paramilitary forces`
New Delhi: The Central Reserve Police Force has earned the dubious distinction of having the highest number of criminal offences registered against its personnel as compared to other Central Paramilitary forces last year.
According to latest data from the Home Ministry, a highest of 45 cases were registered against CRPF personnel for allegedly committing crimes as against 25 by Central
Industrial Security Force (CISF) and 13 by Border Security Force (BSF) in 2009.
While seven such cases were registered against Sashastra Seema Bal (SSB) men, two were against personnel of National Security Guard (NSG) and one against Assam Rifles. No case was registered against any of the officers in Indo-Tibetan Border Police (ITBP), it said.
CRPF is mandated to assist States in maintenance of internal security.
However, the number of cases only saw a marginal rise in 2009 as compared to previous years. A total of 93 cases of criminal offences allegedly committed by CRPF personnel were registered in 2009 as against 90 in 2008 and 82 in 2007.
When contacted, a Home Ministry Official said, "Action has been taken against such personnel according to Laws, Acts and the Rules governing the respective Central Paramilitary Force."
He said, "The personnel are being regularly sensitised and given in-service training to ensure highest levels of discipline and moral or official conduct."
A total of 154 cases are pending before courts. "These cases are being regularly monitored by CRPF for quick disposal," the official said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Aamir Khan's 'intolerance' comment kicks up row
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's remark on 'intolerance'
- Exclusive: Sudhir Chaudhary in conversation with Aamir Khan on intolerance in India!
- Rahul Gandhi spotted with hate speech convict Imran Masood in Saharanpur
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India