CRPF cop wins gallantry award for daring act in Dantewada
New Delhi: A CRPF constable has been awarded posthumously for displaying exemplary courage while trying to save his wounded colleagues in a daring Naxal attack in Dantewada district of Chhattisgarh in 2010.
The ambush left 75 CRPF personnel and a state policeman dead, while constable Sampat Lal became the 77th martyr when he drove a bullet proof vehicle to assist this squad which was trapped by heavily armed Naxalites in Bastar`s Tadmetla area.
Three years after the incident, Lal has been decorated with a Police Medal for gallantry as he displayed rare courage and dedication trying to take out the wounded CRPF men of the 62nd Battalion who had been ambushed in wee hours.
Dodging bullets fired by Naxals and traversing the difficult terrain, Lal`s vehicle went over an IED placed beneath the road blowing it off and killing the dare devil trooper.
Sources said Lal`s gallantry and bravery was shadowed by the enormity of the tragedy and hence his recognition came a bit late.
"He did not care for his life despite knowing the threat in the area and his sole aim was to bring back his wounded colleagues," Lal`s citation read.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bird flu grips nation, Delhi worst affected
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Ramgopal Yadav writes to SP workers after Akhilesh Yadav suspends Shivpal Yadav
- Ramgopal Yadav writes letter to SP party workers after Akhilesh Yadav sacked Shivpal Yadav
- India vs New Zealand, 3rd ODI: As it happened...
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees
- Tata Sons removes Cyrus Mistry as Chairman; Ratan Tata interim boss for 4 months