CRPF cop wins gallantry award for daring act in Dantewada
New Delhi: A CRPF constable has been awarded posthumously for displaying exemplary courage while trying to save his wounded colleagues in a daring Naxal attack in Dantewada district of Chhattisgarh in 2010.
The ambush left 75 CRPF personnel and a state policeman dead, while constable Sampat Lal became the 77th martyr when he drove a bullet proof vehicle to assist this squad which was trapped by heavily armed Naxalites in Bastar`s Tadmetla area.
Three years after the incident, Lal has been decorated with a Police Medal for gallantry as he displayed rare courage and dedication trying to take out the wounded CRPF men of the 62nd Battalion who had been ambushed in wee hours.
Dodging bullets fired by Naxals and traversing the difficult terrain, Lal`s vehicle went over an IED placed beneath the road blowing it off and killing the dare devil trooper.
Sources said Lal`s gallantry and bravery was shadowed by the enormity of the tragedy and hence his recognition came a bit late.
"He did not care for his life despite knowing the threat in the area and his sole aim was to bring back his wounded colleagues," Lal`s citation read.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Essel Group Chairman Dr Subhash Chandra honoured in Haryana
- Watch: PM Modi's 23rd edition of Mann ki Baat
- Vishal Dadlani apologises after tweet on Jain monk backfires
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk - Part II
- Kriti Sanon can't wait to watch 'MS Dhoni - The Untold Story'
- Indian women's hockey stars humiliated, made to sit on floor of train on way back home from Rio
- Donald Trump vows 'tracking system' to deport everyone whose visa expires
- Rockets fired at Turkey's Diyarbakir airport
- Colombia peace deal to be signed late September