CRPF cop wins gallantry award for daring act in Dantewada
New Delhi: A CRPF constable has been awarded posthumously for displaying exemplary courage while trying to save his wounded colleagues in a daring Naxal attack in Dantewada district of Chhattisgarh in 2010.
The ambush left 75 CRPF personnel and a state policeman dead, while constable Sampat Lal became the 77th martyr when he drove a bullet proof vehicle to assist this squad which was trapped by heavily armed Naxalites in Bastar`s Tadmetla area.
Three years after the incident, Lal has been decorated with a Police Medal for gallantry as he displayed rare courage and dedication trying to take out the wounded CRPF men of the 62nd Battalion who had been ambushed in wee hours.
Dodging bullets fired by Naxals and traversing the difficult terrain, Lal`s vehicle went over an IED placed beneath the road blowing it off and killing the dare devil trooper.
Sources said Lal`s gallantry and bravery was shadowed by the enormity of the tragedy and hence his recognition came a bit late.
"He did not care for his life despite knowing the threat in the area and his sole aim was to bring back his wounded colleagues," Lal`s citation read.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Asaduddin Owaisi's brother Akbaruddin in trouble over poll speech, arrest warrant issued