CRPF men `sitting ducks` in Chattisgarh attack: Experts
New Delhi: Security experts raised questions
on the Government`s anti-Naxal strategy after one of the
biggest Maoist attack in the country on Tuesday in which the dead
CRPF men in Chattisgarh were "sitting ducks."
As stunned authorities groped for reasons as to what
went wrong, the experts blamed poor intelligence and apparent
lack of coordination between para-military forces and state
police for the massacre in which 73 hapless and unsuspecting
security men perished in a blast and hail of bullets fired by
Maoists during an ambush. It was also felt that Standard
Operating Procedures(SOP) was not followed.
All but one of the 73 victims in the attack in the
hotbed of Naxal insurgency in Dantewada, about 600 km from the
state capital of Raipur, this morning were from the CRPF.
"Anti-Naxal strategy is a flop strategy. It is totally
flop. Somebody has picked up the strategy from some book and
forced it down on the paramilitary forces who are obedient
servants and they never objected to what is thrusted on them,"
K P S Gill, an ex-security advisor to the Chhattisgarh
"You are sending 100 people in a forested area where the
terrain is not known to them very well. Up to four days, they
are sitting ducks," he said.
Gill, who is credited with flushing out militancy in
Punjab, was very critical of the anti-landmine vehicle used by
the forces in the Naxal-affected regions, saying it is a
"Everyone in the vehicle, if it is a mine attack, will
die either because of the explosion or when he comes out of
the vehicle in the ambush," he said.
Chattisgarh Chief Minister W Raman Singh said the high
intensity of the blast could be gauged from the fact that the
anti-landmine vehicle of the CRPF men was completely damaged.
Former BSF DGP Prakash Singh is of the view that
there was clear lack of intelligence and complacency among the
ranks of CRPF and state police.
"Both CRPF and local police have been to some extent
complacent. Otherwise, ambush on such a big scale normally
does not happen unless you are very negligent and very
very complacent about your movement. You have not taken the
precautions which are required to be taken while operating in
such areas," Singh said.
He said there has been some laxity on part of the CRPF
if they were ambushed from both sides.
"If they were ambushed from both sides, if IEDs were
blown up obviously there has been a lack of intelligence the
local police cannot escape responsibility," Singh said.
Singh blamed the CRPF for increasing the manpower but
not taking care of their equipment, training and discipline
"New battalions are being raised...at the same time
proper training of the men, their equipment, communication,
vehicle, all that has not gone alongside. The government has
just raised the extra battalions at a break neck speed," he
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India