CRPF to induct 38 new battalions in the coming years
New Delhi: CRPF will induct about 38
battalions (about 40,000 personnel) in the coming years, Home
Minister P Chidambaram said on Friday.
Speaking at a CRPF function here, Chidambaram said
while three more battalions would be raised this year, making
the strength of the world`s largest paramilitary force swell
to 210 Battalion, 35 more would be inducted in the coming
"At present, the CRPF strength is about 2.5 lakh which
will grow to about 3.7 to 4 lakh personnel when 35 more
Battalions are recruited," Chidambaram said.
Chidambaram, who today launched project `Janani`
(mother as embodiment of selfless love) in collaboration with
`Nanhi Chhaan` Foundation, said, "We cannot have a nation
where male species and female species are treated differently,
where the boy is shown preference, a girl suffers prejudice, a
boy child is welcomed to the family whereas a girl child is
looked upon as a burden."
He said such values are completely outdated and must be
rejected thoroughly and completely.
"In fact a girl child is a bundle of joy. I have one
son and my son and daughter-in-law have one child, that is a
girl. She celebrated her birthday yesterday. And I think
seeing that child grow up have been the most joyous moments of
our life," he said.
As part of the Janani project, the CRPF will plant
over a total 2 lakh saplings in the next one year at places
where their Battalions are posted.
The CRPF launched a scheme whereby the force has
opened bank accounts in the name of every girl child born to
its personnel in the last one year with an initial recurring
deposit of Rs 250.
The scheme would also be extended to all girls born
into the CRPF family in the future, CRPF Director General A S
The project will be supervised and run by the CRPF
Wives’ Welfare Association (CWWA).
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!