CRPF tops in suicide cases among central forces
New Delhi: With 38 cases of suicide by its
personnel this year, the country`s largest paramilitary force
CRPF leads the chart of such incidents among all central
The maximum number of `firing on colleagues` (fratricide)
cases -- three -- were also reported in Central Reserve Police
Force comprising close to three lakh personnel, the Lok Sabha
was informed on Tuesday.
The CRPF was closely followed by Border Security Force
(BSF) with 36 cases, Sashastra Seema Bal (SSB) with 11 cases
and the Central Industrial Security Force (CISF) with ten
The other forces like Assam Rifles recorded eight cases,
Indo-Tibetan Border Police (ITBP) four cases and the National
Security Guard (NSG) had two such incidents this year.
"The causative factors in most of the cases were found to
be generally the personal and domestic problems like marital
discord, personal enmity, mental illness and depression among
others and were not related to the forces as such," Minister
of State for Home Jitendra Singh said in a written reply to
the Lok Sabha.
Similarly, two fratricide cases each were reported in the
SSB, BSF while one each was reported in Assam Rifles and the
"The corrective steps being taken by the government are
regulating duty hours to ensure adequate rest and relief,
grant of entitled leave to the needy personnel, provision of
recreational facilities, providing opportunities for team
sports and games, training in yoga and meditation, organising
talks by doctors and other specialists, regular interaction
with personnel by senior officers among others," Singh said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Pakistan behind increasing train accidents in India?
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS