CRPF`s women contingent to leave for Liberia
New Delhi: A women contingent of the CRPF
will leave for civil war stricken Liberia tonight as part of
the United Nations Peace Keeping assignment.
The fourth women contingent to be sent to Liberia by the
largest paramilitary force in the country comprises 106 women
personnel besides 19 male officers and others. They will leave
by a special UN aircraft at a time when Liberia is expected to
elect a new government this year after experiencing years of
The officers and women have been trained in advanced
unarmed combat tactics, crowd and mob control, modern
sophisticated weapons, counter insurgency operations, disaster
management, international policing with special emphasis on
community policing among others.
A Female Formed Police Unit (FFPU) of the country was
first deployed in Liberia in 2007. During the period, the
women personnel, most of whom were mothers and usually aged
between 27-40 years, have performed numerous law and order
duties in the West African country, including guarding the
Liberian President`s House.
Incidentally, 80 per cent of the 106 women personnel are
mothers in this contingent and this is the first time that the
constables have been trained to fire 9 mm pistol, a side arm.
Many officers and women in contingent have experience in
tackling terrorism, naxalism and extremism in the country and
some of them had served in Sri Lanka as part of the Indian
Peace Keeping force.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report