Cruise missile ‘Nirbhay’ fails on maiden flight
Balasore (Odisha): The maiden test flight of India’s indigenously developed medium range sub-sonic cruise missile `Nirbhay` was terminated midway after it deviated from its flight path and failed to hit the target.
Importantly, the DRDO has claimed that the mission objectives have been met, although complete range capability could not be achieved.
Nirbhay was launched today at 11:50 am on Tuesday from the Integrated Test Range at Chandipur near here in Balasore.
After a successful lift-off, the mission was terminated when it was observed that the missile had deviated from the flight path and won’t hit the intended target. The step was taken to ensure coastal safety, reports said.
‘Nirbhay’ (fearless) is being seen as an important step forward to India’ missile arsenal more potent. An official confirmation on the outcome of the test fire is awaited.
The missile, under development since 2007, has a range of 1,000 kms - similar to the US Tomahawk, which flies like an aircraft. It has been designed to have good loitering capability, control and guidance, a high degree of accuracy in terms of impact and very good stealth features.
The missile has been developed by the Aeronautical Development Establishment, a Defence Research and Development Organisation laboratory based at Bangalore.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31