CSE welcomes India`s changed stand on Endosulfan
New Delhi: The Centre for Science and
Environment (CSE) on Friday welcomed India`s changed position on
Endosulfan at the Stockholm Convention but attacked the
Environment Ministry accusing it of having been supportive of
the pesticide industry`s opposition to a ban on it.
"The final day of the fifth Stockholm Convention held
in Geneva to decide the fate of Endosulfan, a persistent
organic pollutant, saw a different Indian position," said a
"India, which has single handedly blocked the ban on
this globally accepted toxin, agreed to the inclusion of
Endosulfan in Annex A, a listing of globally banned pesticide
under the UN`s Stockholm Convention - without any opposition,"
the official said.
Welcoming the shift in the Indian government`s
position, the CSE said the pesticide has caused "enormous
human suffering" in Kerala and Karnataka where it has been
sprayed over cashew plantation.
The CSE claimed that in other parts of the country,
where this pesticide is used extensively, there is growing
evidence of its toxicity.
"In spite of these concerns, the Indian government,
represented by the Ministry of Environment and Forests, had
been supportive of the pesticide industry`s position that
Endosulfan must not be banned," the CSE said.
The CSE stressed that phase-out of the pesticide must
"It is time that the government recognizes the need to
make concerted efforts towards moving to non-chemical
alternatives of Endosulfan. This will help keep the farmers
out of the pesticide`s bad health and debt trap," it said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof