Cultivate a temper which welcomes criticism: Prez Pranab
New Delhi: Observing that cartoonists hold up a mirror to public life, President Pranab Mukherjee on Monday suggested that the country return to `Nehruvian times` and cultivate a temper which welcomes criticism.
At a function organised to pay homage to cartoonist late PKS Kutty at Rashtrapati Bhavan here, he said, "Cartoonists hold up mirror to our public life and help us as a nation to see ourselves".
"We, as a country, must return to the Nehruvian times; cultivate a temper which welcomes criticism, where comment is free but facts are held sacred," the President said.
Renowned cartoonist Kutty died on October 22 last year in the United States. He was 90.
"I conclude by paying tribute to the contribution made by Kutty to the modern cultural and political history of our country. As a person from Kerala, who lived in Delhi and drew cartoons for Bengali newspapers (even though he spoke no Bengali), Kutty was a quintessential Indian.
"His life and works were not limited by linguistic or State boundaries. I call upon the cartoonist fraternity of India to keep his memory alive by excelling in their chosen craft," Mukherjee said.
Overseas Indian Affairs Minister Vayalar Ravi, Kerala Chief Minister Oommen Chandy, Minister for Rural Development, Planning & Culture in Kerala Government KC Joseph and Kerala Cartoon Academy Chairman Prasannan Anikkad spoke on various facets of Kutty`s life and recalled his popularity in West Bengal.
A coffee table book of 100 caricatures by Kutty was given to the President.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video